Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Fitting In

Fitting in has always been something that people have tried to do. But what does fitting in even mean? Like in the youtube video, the marketers who are "cool-hunting", looking for the trend-setters who are ahead of the pack. So does this mean that in order to fit in, you have to be able to afford whatever clothing the cool kids are wearing? This means that fitting in literally is all about how you look. Yeah I've seen this before, I know it is not unusual for "cool" people to be attractive. But it really isn't even about the attractiveness of a person. I've seen it all before. The person who has it all and shows it off willingly will get friends, regardless of their looks, their personality, etc. If they have the coolest clothes, car, house, everyone will want to borrow them, take a ride, and come over all the time. But how could that ever matter to someone? To me, yeah I mean I still think all of that is cool too, but if I only had a friend just because of all of their cool stuff but their personality sucked, that would be horrible. I couldn't handle it. Macklemore talked about how his shoes changed his life. In a way at least. But that dream that he had of being someone, it came at a cost, and nothing more. He could literally buy the dream he wanted. And I think a lot of people do that when they're younger (some when they're older too). From about sixth grade at least, until the end of high school, everyone cared about name brands. And my everyone I mean my group of friends. There were probably people in high school who already had it figured out that brands didn't matter. When I got to college it changed. Yeah there are still some things that you see every person wearing: Northface jackets, Lulu lemon clothing, Hunter boots, etc. So I guess what changed for me is that I don't really care anymore. I can find the cutest things in the least likely places. And they don't cost me a fortune. I am on a college budget as well. It makes me laugh actually that in the Abercrombie and Fitch video that guy is giving those clothes away to homeless people. Because I always wanted to have Abercrombie and Fitch things but my parents didn't want to pay their "outrageous" prices for their clothing. And now I look back and wonder what I was thinking when I wanted to wear their clothes. In my quizzes on Marie Claire and Men's health I got Casual and relaxed. And that didn't surprise me one bit because that's exactly how I am. Unless I am actually dressing up for a special event, I want to be as comfortable as possible. And the older I get the less I care about name brand. Yes, I still like some of the trends and latest styles, but I just go find them at little boutiques or wherever I want and they're probably way less expensive and look just as great. Some of the trends however I find gross. To me. No offense to anyone else. Like high wasted shorts? Nope won't ever do it. Yeah put those shorts up to your belly button just so you can show off the bottom of your ass? No thanks. I do like how cut-off/belly shirts are coming back into style though. See if I wore something like that and it wasn't "in-style" people might call me bad names that start with an "s" or a "w". But now that they're "in" I can wear them and be saved from not being called that. I probably shouldn't care what I am called anyways. But I guess I still have a little bit of that caring about whether or not I fit in. I'm sure I'll always have at least a little bit of it. Which is exactly what companies want.

No comments:

Post a Comment